A Backpack, a Bear, and Eight Crates of Vodka: A Memoir
"A hilarious and heartbreaking story of a Jewish familys escape from oppression."--The New York Times
A compelling story of two intertwined journeys: a Jewish refugee family fleeing persecution and a young man seeking to reclaim a shattered past. In the twilight of the Cold War (the late 1980s), nine-year old Lev Golinkin and his family cross the Soviet border with only ten suitcases, 600, and the vague promise of help awaiting in Vienna. Years later, Lev, now an American adult, sets out to retrace his family's long trek, locate the strangers who fought for his freedom, and in the process, gain a future by understanding his past.
Lev Golinkin's memoir is the vivid, darkly comic, and poignant story of a young boy in the confusing and often chilling final decade of the Soviet Union. It's also the story of Lev Golinkin, the American man who finally confronts his buried past by returning to Austria and Eastern Europe to track down the strangers who made his escape possible . . . and say thank you. Written with biting, acerbic wit and emotional honesty in the vein of Gary Shteyngart, Jonathan Safran Foer, and David Bezmozgis, Golinkin's search for personal identity set against the relentless currents of history is more than a memoirit's a portrait of a lost era. This is a thrilling tale of escape and survival, a deeply personal look at the life of a Jewish child caught in the last gasp of the Soviet Union, and a provocative investigation into the power of hatred and the search for belonging. Lev Golinkin achieves an amazing featand it marks the debut of a fiercely intelligent, defiant, and unforgettable new voice.
RUSSIAN MOSAIC: The True Story of a Girl from the Russian North
Russian Mosaic is the true story of a young girl from a Russian mining town above the Arctic Circle, whose coming of age is marked by tragedy and hardship, but ultimately survival. She spent her childhood and college years under the structured control of the state. With always a bit of rebellion for the lack of freedom and self-expression, she learned to play along to get by. As a young adult, she witnessed the fall of communism and the Soviet Union, and with it, the change of lifestyle for all Russians. The daughter of a miner father and an accountant mother, Olga endures a number of ordeals that would have broken others less resilient. From the untimely passing of her father, and through a variety of early life experiences, she learns from her mother not to rely on others, but to be self-sufficient and to make her own way in the world. She not only survives but succeeds and writes with the hope of inspiring other women who face adversity in life.
Russia vs USA Russian Funny Drinking Vodka T-Shirt White Great Gift Present Idea
- THE SOLUTION: If you're a member of the vast Russian-speaking US community, we've got a unique and perfect way for you to showcase our distinct identity. Show everyone how friendly and funny we are with a RussiaWear T-shirt!
- UNIQUELY INSPIRED DESIGNS: All of us Russian speakers in the US, whether we are of Russian, Ukrainian, Byelorussian, Armenian or Lithuanian descent have more in common than our language, we all have our love for fun, our hospitality, our sense of humor or our friendliness. We designed our selection of Russian inspired apparel to reflect all of our qualities in a funny and unique way.
- PERFECT FIT FOR YOU: We offer our t-shirts in a wide range of sizes, for both men, women, and children. As you know, we Russian speakers always accommodate everyone, so whatever your size is, we've got you covered!
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Our Russian Heritage tees are made from the highest quality cotton and polyester blend to make sure they are not just durable, but also incredibly soft and smooth. Our top-of-the-range ink makes the vibrant colors of our designs sure to last the test of time.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: All of our T-shirts are made in Detroit by RussiaWear Brand and shipped from here. We want you to absolutely love your new Russia-USA T-shirt, so if you're not 100 happy, we will offer you a full refund.
Hat Russian Soviet Army KGB Fur Militaryhat Ushanka * BL * Size 58
This hat is very warm and made of artificial furry. This material is very strong and durable. The hat has flaps on the side and back that comes down to cover your ears and neck. Such hats were first used by Russian troops during WW2 to help them survive cold Russian winters and they're still used in Russian army today! * Available ALL sizes: from 55cm to 64cm circumference. Please check your size before placing order
- All hats are shipped with the red star badge (not attached) .This badge can be substituted for an eagle badge at your request. * Badges are pin attachment * To attach, make tiny hole in the middle of front flap with awl or nail, insert pin, and bend it flat against the back of the visor
- We include gifts with every hat purchase (Mini Lady bug fridge magnet and Russian coin)
Midnight in Siberia: A Train Journey into the Heart of Russia
Travels with NPR host David Greene along the Trans-Siberian Railroad capture an overlooked, idiosyncratic Russia in the age of Putin.
Far away from the trendy cafés, designer boutiques, and political protests and crackdowns in Moscow, the real Russia exists.
Midnight in Siberia chronicles David Greenes journey on the Trans-Siberian Railway, a 6,000-mile cross-country trip from Moscow to the Pacific port of Vladivostok. In quadruple-bunked cabins and stopover towns sprinkled across the countrys snowy landscape, Greene speaks with ordinary Russians about how their lives have changed in the post-Soviet years.
These travels offer a glimpse of the new Russiaa nation that boasts open elections and newfound prosperity but continues to endure oppression, corruption, a dwindling population, and stark inequality.
We follow Greene as he finds opportunity and hardship embodied in his fellow train travelers and in conversations with residents of towns throughout Siberia.
We meet Nadezhda, an entrepreneur who runs a small hotel in Ishim, fighting through corrupt layers of bureaucracy every day. Greene spends a joyous evening with a group of babushkas who made international headlines as runners-up at the Eurovision singing competition. They sing Beatles covers, alongside their traditional songs, finding that music and companionship can heal wounds from the past. In Novosibirsk, Greene has tea with Alexei, who runs the carpet company his mother began after the Soviet collapse and has mixed feelings about a government in which his family has done quite well. And in Chelyabinsk, a hunt for space debris after a meteorite landing leads Greene to a young man orphaned as a teenager, forced into military service, and now figuring out if any of his dreams are possible.
Midnight in Siberia is a lively travel narrative filled with humor, adventure, and insight. It opens a window onto that countrys complicated relationship with democracy and offers a rare look into the soul of twenty-first-century Russia.
A History of the World in 6 Glasses
New York Times Bestseller
From beer to Coca-Cola, the six drinks that have helped shape human history.
Throughout human history, certain drinks have done much more than just quench thirst. As Tom Standage relates with authority and charm, six of them have had a surprisingly pervasive influence on the course of history, becoming the defining drink during a pivotal historical period.
A History of the World in 6 Glasses tells the story of humanity from the Stone Age to the 21st century through the lens of beer, wine, spirits, coffee, tea, and cola. Beer was first made in the Fertile Crescent and by 3000 B.C.E. was so important to Mesopotamia and Egypt that it was used to pay wages. In ancient Greece wine became the main export of her vast seaborne trade, helping spread Greek culture abroad. Spirits such as brandy and rum fueled the Age of Exploration, fortifying seamen on long voyages and oiling the pernicious slave trade. Although coffee originated in the Arab world, it stoked revolutionary thought in Europe during the Age of Reason, when coffeehouses became centers of intellectual exchange. And hundreds of years after the Chinese began drinking tea, it became especially popular in Britain, with far-reaching effects on British foreign policy. Finally, though carbonated drinks were invented in 18th-century Europe they became a 20th-century phenomenon, and Coca-Cola in particular is the leading symbol of globalization.
For Tom Standage, each drink is a kind of technology, a catalyst for advancing culture by which he demonstrates the intricate interplay of different civilizations. You may never look at your favorite drink the same way again.
- History of the World in 6 Glasses
Roland Black Caviar, Whole Grain Lumpfish, 2 Ounce
Our mission is to be the leader in importing and marketing superior quality specialty foods under our Roland brand and other brands, and to perform in all areas of our organization at levels that exceed the expectations of our customers. We strive to foster an open culture of integrity, respect and pride. We work each and every day to achieve the highest standards and employ the best principles, technologies and personnel. For 79 years Roland Foods has provided customers with exceptional gourmet food. Our dedication to providing quality and consistency has made us a leader amongst specialty food importers and suppliers. We are eager to share our years of culinary expertise, and our wide assortment of quality specialty foods. This item is suitable for use by restaurants, professional chefs or industrial foodservice facilities.
- Black caviar is whole grain and is produced from lumpfish roe
- Lumpfish are caught in the North Sea between Iceland and Denmark
- Firm, crunchy texture with a pronounced yet delicate fish flavor
- Best served chilled, straight from the jar and generally, should not be cooked as it is not color fast
- Gluten free with zero grams of trans fat
SignMission Russian Parking Sign Indoor/Outdoor Funny Home Décor for Garages, Living Rooms, Bedroom, Offices Gag Novelty Gift Funny Russia Federation Moscow Ruble Sign Wall Plaque Decoration
Get a fun novelty sign for your home and office and show off your sense of humor.
Looking for a fun, hilarious novelty sign to hang on your cubicle or in your "man cave"? If so, SignMission has all the cute, funny, hilarious, and even work-related novelty signs you're looking for!
Something for Everyone
We've got a wide range of American-made signs just like this Russian Parking sign that will tickle your funny bone, make others smile, or even show off your snarky attitude.
Colorful and Durable
SignMission novelty signs are crafted with outdoor-durable plastic and premium inks that perfectly highlight the colors and image on the front. And because they're safe for indoor and outdoor use, you can stick one on your patio, in the living room, or anywhere else you want to get people smiling and laughing along.
- Russian Parking Sign
- Pre-Drilled Mounting Holes
- Indoor and Outdoor Use
- Rust and Fade Resistant
- Dimension: 12" x 8"
- Made in the USA
- Outdoor Durable Plastic and Premium-Grade Inks
Click 'Add to Cart' to get your Russian Parking sign today and enjoy a good laugh each time you pass by!
- Size - 8" X 12" - Good for decorating a work space or hanging in a den, this America Pride Novelty sign also makes a great gift
- Perfect Gift - Good for decorating a work space or hanging in a den, this novelty sign makes a great gift for anyone
- Quick & Easy Mount - Comes with pre-cut mounting holes for hanging
- Indoor/Outdoor Use - Printed with ultra durable inks for a scratch resistant finish that will last for years
- Proudly Made In The USA - Buy with confidence from an American owned and operated company! SignMission Items are produced in our state-of-the-art facility in West Palm Beach, Florida
CafePress - Stork Baby Russia USA Bib - Cute Cloth Baby Bib, Toddler Bib
CafePress brings your passions to life with the perfect item for every occasion. With thousands of designs to choose from, you are certain to find the unique item you've been seeking. This cute baby bib is sure to make everyone smile. Made of super soft 100 ring spun cotton jersey, this quality toddler bib will both look and feel great on your little one. Measuring 9"x10" from bottom to collar, this bib provides great coverage area to catch all those burps and spills. Our cute, funny, and unique designs are printed professionally, and make great novelty gifts for mom-to-be, Mother's Day, baby's first birthday, or for no reason at all!. And with CafePress, your satisfaction is always our promise...buy with confidence, as we offer easy returns and exchanges and a 100 money back guarantee. CAFEPRESS DOES NOT OFFER PRODUCTS IN THE CATEGORIES OF ROBES, PAJAMAS OR LOUNGEWEAR INTENDED FOR USE BY INDIVIDUALS UNDER THE AGE OF 12. THIS PRODUCT IS NOT INTENDED FOR SUCH USE.
- These quality 100 combed ringspun cotton jersey baby bibs are super soft. Features contrasting color ribbing & hook-and-loop closure.
- This burp bib provides great coverage for all your little one's spills.
- Our toddler bib designs are professionally printed. Your unique design will make everyone smile. Make this baby bib the perfect gift for a boy, girl, or mom-to-be, great for baby showers, Mother's Day, Christmas, or first birthdays.
- Machine wash cold with like colors. Tumble dry low. IMPORTED.
- CAFEPRESS DOES NOT OFFER PRODUCTS IN THE CATEGORIES OF ROBES, PAJAMAS OR LOUNGEWEAR INTENDED FOR USE BY INDIVIDUALS UNDER THE AGE OF 12. THIS PRODUCT IS NOT INTENDED FOR SUCH USE.
Lily's Home Cocktail Recipe Glass Set. 4 Old Fashioned Glasses with Cocktail Recipe Printed on the Glass. Bartending Glasses
These fun recipe glasses make an impressive set and a perfect gift for any special occasion or groomsmen, birthday, Father's Day and retirement. The lead-free Double Old Fashioned glasses are imprinted with famous cocktails recipes. Each glass with it's own recipe; Screaming O, Slow Comfortable Screw, Between The Sheets and Sex on the Beach. Just follow the ingredients on the glass to make a perfect cocktail every time. Set of four glasses, Height: 3-7/8 inch and capacity: 10 oz. This set makes a wonderful addition to your bar.
- MAKE A PERFECT COCKTAIL EVERY TIME; Our cocktail glasses are imprinted with the recipe
- UNIQUE DESIGN - Each cocktail glass comes with it's own recipe. Glasses are lead-free
- PERFECT AS A BAR TENDER GLASSES: Our bar tending glasses printed with four cocktails; Screaming O, Slow Comfortable Screw, Between The Sheets and Sex on the Beach
- GLASSES MEASURE 3-7/8 inch tall and 3-1/8 inch diameter at the top. 10 Ounces capacity
- Rocket kits
- Hair trimmers for barbers
- Romantic novels for teens
- Men snow boots
- The best birthday gifts
- Outdoor rock speakers
- Electronic darts