The National Parks: America's Best Idea
The companion volume to the twelve-hour PBS series from the acclaimed filmmaker behind The Civil War, Baseball, and The War.
Americas national parks spring from an idea as radical as the Declaration of Independence: that the nations most magnificent and sacred places should be preserved, not for royalty or the rich, but for everyone. In this evocative and lavishly illustrated narrative, Ken Burns and Dayton Duncan delve into the history of the park idea, from the first sighting by white men in 1851 of the valley that would become Yosemite and the creation of the worlds first national park at Yellowstone in 1872, through the most recent additions to a system that now encompasses nearly four hundred sites and 84 million acres.
The authors recount the adventures, mythmaking, and intense political battles behind the evolution of the park system, and the enduring ideals that fostered its growth. They capture the importance and splendors of the individual parks: from Haleakala in Hawaii to Acadia in Maine, from Denali in Alaska to the Everglades in Florida, from Glacier in Montana to Big Bend in Texas. And they introduce us to a diverse cast of compelling charactersboth unsung heroes and famous figures such as John Muir, Theodore Roosevelt, and Ansel Adamswho have been transformed by these special places and committed themselves to saving them from destruction so that the rest of us could be transformed as well.
The National Parks is a glorious celebration of an essential expression of American democracy.
- Ken Burns, Dayton Duncan
- The National Parks
- Travel U.S.A.
Smart Travel Guide to 16 National Parks in the Western United States: Camping & Hiking Guide (Also In Depth Guide to Yosemite, Olympic & Grand Canyon)
Smart Travel Guide to 16 National Parks in the Western United States
Camping & Hiking Guide
(Also In-Depth Guide to Yosemite, Olympic & Grand Canyon)
I have always been what you may call a National Park junkie. I love the uniqueness, the natural wilderness and the breathtaking beauty of each of our national parks. In the last 26 years, I have visited all 59 of our national parks at least once, but I must admit that I visited 35 of them more times than I want to admit. The parks that I discussed in this series, I visited a dozen times or more. Some of them I know like I know my own 23-acre ranch that I grew up and still live in Texas.
In this three-volume guide, Ill take you to all the National Parks in the United States. Each guide will walk you through the basics so you can prepare for a trip to any of the locations listed with little to no trouble whatsoever. Then, Ill give you the must-see spots so you can enjoy the best of the National Parks in a single day if you dont have time to stay longer than that.
Ill also give you a few itineraries in case you have the time to take a two-week trip and want to see multiple parks along the way. Ill also go into greater detail at some of the most popular parks since youll probably want to stay several nights and see everything the park has to offer.
In this first guide, I focus on all 16 of the National Parks in the Western United States.
This Guide is Divided into 4 Parts.
In Part -1, I discuss the followings of each park.
- A brief description of each park, along with its location, size and what makes it unique
- Visitor center information including hours of operation
- Fees (if any)
- What goods and services each park has to offer (if any)
- If pets are allowed or not
- Camping information including fees
- Reservations and Permits (if required)
- Web links for any reservation (for boats or plane, if available)
- Wildlife you may get to see and enjoy
- Weather forecast year-round
- Best time to Visit
In Part -2, I discuss what to do and see if you took a day trip in any of these 16 parks.
In Part -3, I laid out two logical and well thought out 14-day park hopper plans, with each itinerary you will be able to visit multiple parks and enjoy various activities like hiking to sightseeing. For hikers, I laid out three different hiking plans ranging from easy to difficult. I also included a few much-needed hiking tables.
In the last Part, I take you inside for an in-depth look at 3 of the most popular parks (Yosemite, Olympic & Grand Canyon) the West has to offer. This is where I get into each and every point of interests each park has to offer that is worth seeing.
So, please feel free to use this guide to plan your first or next great outdoor adventure and have fun.
Apartment Custom Blanket by Nalohomeqq Waterfalls in Yosemite National Park in California Monochromic Old Picture Print Accessories Black White
Birding Sites in Western North America
White Mountain Puzzles Best Places in America - 1000Piece Jigsaw Puzzle
Enjoy a colorful collection of post cards and greetings from some of the most interesting tourist sites and national parks in the United States. Thrill the entire family piecing together this incredible 1000-Piece puzzle. An ideal pastime for everyone to enjoy! The White Mountain Puzzles Best places in America jigsaw puzzle is the inspiration of Lewis T. Johnson. Lewis' Versatile abilities and experience as a professional illustrator/ designer coupled with passionate attention to detail, color and design are key ingredients he puts into each and every puzzle he creates. Art jigsaw puzzles are a fun and inexpensive way to enjoy beautiful works of art first hand. Jigsaw puzzles are also used to boost cognitive skills, develop hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, problem solving, shape recognition, memory, and task completion. The White Mountain Puzzles Best places in America includes 1, 000 unique interlocking pieces made of sturdy blue chipboard on recycled paper. Extra large sized pieces for easy handling. Completed puzzle dimensions: 24 x 30 inches. Every white Mountain puzzle is proudly manufactured in America with a 100 customer satisfaction.
- American beauty: take a road trip with this scenic collage puzzle and visit the best The 50 States have to offer! From the beautiful mountains to the lights of Las Vegas, there is so much to see!
- 1000 piece puzzle: thrill and challenge your family and friends piecing together this incredible 1000-Piece jigsaw puzzle. Bring home hours of fun and entertainment everyone will enjoy.
- Children & adults: if you love pretty scenery, cool collages, or beautiful places Our challenging puzzles delight men, women and kids alike. Quality design & easy to handle pieces create the fun.
- Puzzle building: puzzles are a fun, inexpensive way to enjoy beautiful scenic artwork & remember foods, toys, places and good times from childhood. Spend time with family, friends, and fond memories!
- Thicker larger pieces: includes 1000 extra large interlocking pieces made of high quality chipboard on recycled paper. 24 x 30 inches. 100 customer satisfaction guarantee. Made in USA.
The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animalsand Other Forgotten Skills
Turn Every Walk into a Game of Detection
When writer and navigator Tristan Gooley journeys outside, he sees a natural world filled with clues. The roots of a tree indicate the suns direction; the Big Dipper tells the time; a passing butterfly hints at the weather; a sand dune reveals prevailing wind; the scent of cinnamon suggests altitude; a budding flower points south. To help you understand nature as he does, Gooley shares more than 850 tips for forecasting, tracking, and more, gathered from decades spent walking the landscape around his home and around the world. Whether youre walking in the country or city, along a coastline, or by night, this is the ultimate resource on what the land, sun, moon, stars, plants, animals, and clouds can revealif you only know how to look!
Ranger Confidential: Living, Working, And Dying In The National Parks
For twelve years, Andrea Lankford lived in the biggest, most impressive national parks in the world, working a job she loved. She chaperoned baby sea turtles on their journey to sea. She pursued bad guys on her galloping patrol horse. She jumped into rescue helicopters bound for the heart of the Grand Canyon. She won arguments with bears. She slept with a few too many rattlesnakes.
Hell yeah, it was the best job in the world! Fortunately, Andrea survived it.
In this graphic and yet surprisingly funny account of her and others extraordinary careers, Lankford unveils a world in which park rangers struggle to maintain their idealism in the face of death, disillusionment, and the loss of a comrade killed while holding that thin green line between protecting the park from the people, the people from the park, and the people from each other. Ranger Confidential is the story behind the scenery of the nations crown jewelsYosemite, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Great Smokies, Denali. In these iconic landscapes, where nature and humanity constantly collide, scenery can be as cruel as it is redemptive.
- Andrea Lankford
- Adventure Narrative
- Ranger Confidential
- 102812 Has limited quantity available
National Geographic Guide to the National Parks of the United States, 6th Edition
Featuring 375 color photos and 80 full-color detailed mapsmore than any other park guidebookthis is the most comprehensive, up-to-the-minute book of its kind on the market today. A perennial favorite with more than a million copies sold in previous editions, it reflects National Geographics century-long association with Americas national parks system and its peerless reputation for travel expertise and cartographic excellence.
The guide opens with an essay by Yellowstone authority Paul Schullery, a section on how to use the guide, and a national locator map. The parks are presented alphabetically region by region, with individual maps and geographical profiles. Colorfully illustrated descriptions offer tours tailored to the time available, whether its an hour or a week, and tell visitors the best spots to enjoy hikes, spectacular vistas, wildlife, and more. An Information & Activities page provides practical advice on visitingpark contact information, camping and lodging, accessibility, pet restrictions, things to do, and special advisories. Excursions to nearby wildlife refuges, monuments, forests, and other areas of exceptional interest follow many of the park entries.
From planning a trip to making the most of every minute, heres all the information anyone could want on the scenic national parksthe crown jewels of the park systemplus invaluable advice from National Geographic writers who know them well.
- Used Book in Good Condition
2019 Large Wall Calendar -"National Parks" by Goldistock - 12" x 24" (Open) - Thick & Sturdy Paper - Featuring Breathtaking Images of Our National Parks
BREATHTAKING IMAGES - Our 2019 National Parks calendar features the awe-inspiring natural beauty of America's National Parks. Inside you'll find the following National Parks: Great Basin in Nevada, Crater Lake in Oregon, Yosemite in California, Everglades in Florida, Zion in Utah, Glacier in Montana, Acadia in Maine, Grand Tetons in Wyoming, Mount Rainier in Washington, Great Smoky Mountains in North Carolina, Denali in Alaska, Mount Rushmore in S. Dakota
PREMIUM QUALITY PAPER & PRINTING - We use thick paper designed to easily last the whole year though. Large daily blocks (1.5" x 1.75") give you plenty of room to keep track of tasks and appointments. All major U.S., some international holidays and moon phases are included. EXTRA BONUS...two-page calendar layout features July-December 2018 in addition to 12 months of 2019.
TOUGH & DURABLE - Goldistock calendars do not curl up, rip out and fall off your wall, or show ink bleed like other inexpensive and thin calendars often do.
GOLDISTOCK IS ECO-FRIENDLY - We use Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified paper. FSC paper protects against harvest of rare old-growth forests, prevents loss of natural forest cover, prohibits highly hazardous chemicals, and much more. Goldistock uses soy-based ink. Soy-based ink is a sustainable and renewable resource unlike what other calendar companies use such as petroleum and other chemicals in their inks.
MAKE A GREAT GIFT... OR TREAT YOURSELF - We have a huge selection of 48 unique titles to choose from.
- BREATHTAKING IMAGES - Our 2019 National Parks calendar features the awe-inspiring natural beauty of America's National Parks. Inside you'll find the following National Parks: Great Basin in Nevada, Crater Lake in Oregon, Yosemite in California, Everglades in Florida, Zion in Utah, Glacier in Montana, Acadia in Maine, Grand Tetons in Wyoming, Mount Rainier in Washington, Great Smoky Mountains in North Carolina, Denali in Alaska, Mount Rushmore in S. Dakota.
- THICK QUALITY PAPER & PRINTING - Large daily blocks (1.5" x 1.75") give you plenty of room to keep track of tasks and appointments. Includes all major U.S. holidays and moon phases. BONUS- two-page calendar layout features July-December 2018 in addition to 12 months of 2019.
- STURDY & DURABLE - Goldistock calendars do not curl up, rip out and fall off your wall, or show ink bleed like other inexpensive and thin calendars often do. Ships with a protective cardboard insert and shrink-wrapped to ensure that you receive your calendar in perfect condition.
- GOLDISTOCK IS ECO-FRIENDLY - We use Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified paper. FSC paper protects against harvest of rare old-growth forests, prevents loss of natural forest cover, prohibits highly hazardous chemicals, and much more. Goldistock uses soy-based ink. Soy-based ink is a sustainable and renewable resource unlike what other calendar companies use such as petroleum and other chemicals in their inks.
- MAKES A GREAT GIFT... OR TREAT YOURSELF. We have a huge selection of 48 unique titles to choose from.
Outlander Packable Lightweight Travel Hiking Backpack Daypack (New Orange)
- Water-resistant and DURABLE. The backpack is made from highly rip and water-resistant nylon fabric, which provides strength and long-lasting performance, with minimal weight. Stress points are reinforced with bar tacking for increased longevity. We use durable 2-way Abrasion Resistant SBS Metal Zippers across the backpack.
- COMPACT. Folds into zippered inner pocket to fit anywhere. Unfolds from pocket to backpack. A must-have on any trip and a great gift for anyone. Dimensions: Unfold: 18.5x13x7.5 inches, Fold: 8.5x8.5x1.2 inches.
- LIGHTWEIGHT (0.7 Pounds) and ROOMY (35 Liters). A true space saver. Stuff the bag into its own pocket for storage and unzip it when you reach your destination. Avoid overweight baggage charges by simply unfolding it from your luggage and using it as a carry on for your excess baggage.
- MULTIPLE COMPARTMENTS. Features a classic shape with several pockets for storage and organization. This backpack has a roomy main compartment, two front zipper pockets to hold small accessories, and two side pockets for water bottles or umbrellas.
- NEW VERSION: Includes aluminum CARABINER, WHISTLE buckle, and REFLECTOR. The included carabiner clip so you can attach things or clip it to things; the chest strap with a whistle buckle help you lock your backpack in place securely. NO FLAPS WITH THE ZIPPER, never struggle with zipping the compartments again! Get Outlander backpacks, don't worry about zippers that catch onto flaps. All Outlander bags come with our Lifetime Warranty- return, exchange -- whatever it takes.
- Holife cordless vacuum
- Black & decker ss12c
- Lip stain for dry lips
- Earths best baby formula
- Aviator sunglasses for small faces
- 1080p 3d projector
- Products for beard care